Everyone knows that domestic work is not easy! And as the sun sets earlier and the winter rolls in, it is important to stay emotionally and physically healthy. So we say to domestic workers who spend all day taking care of other people:
Don't forget to take care of yourself too!
Here are a few tips from DWU, one easy ways to stay healthy and relaxed this winter.
- Get up during TV commercials and move around. Stretch, walk around the house, or lift dumbbells. If you don't have dumbbells, use soup cans!
- Take a rigorous walk at an indoor location like the mall or grocery store.
- Take the stairs instead of an escalator or elevator where you live or work.
- Buy some workout videos and use them.
Dealing with Stress
- Wind down at the end of a long day. For example, take a long, hot, bubble bath before starting supper.
- Try clearing your head with some silent meditation and deep breathing. Relax by candle light for 20 minutes.
- Instead of reaching for snacks, choose to call a friend or family member, read a magazine, or write in a journal.
- Eat 4-6 small meals throughout the day to stay energized, and be sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.